Calling Rangers with Wildlife Concerns

Calling Rangers with Wildlife Concerns

Ken-Caryl Ranch Park Rangers have received a few injured wildlife calls in the past few weeks, which included a Big Horned Owl but mainly regarding mule deer. With the mule deer rut in full swing, bucks will receive more injuries sparring with other males and also running/jumping into yards, open space and roadways to pursue does.

When a wildlife injury call is received, Rangers may investigate as time allows or determine over the phone if the animal should be left alone to let nature take its course. If the injury is minor for a small mammal or bird, our advice may also be to take it to a licensed rehabilitator.

The Rangers use the same policy as Colorado Parks and Wildlife. If a deer/elk is injured but can still feed and walk on its own, then we let nature take its course. However, if the deer/elk is injured to the point it cannot feed or walk on its own, listing to one side, head/ears lowered, then Rangers will respond to euthanize the animal (if on duty) or direct the caller to contact Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

• PARK RANGERS (303-979-1876, ext. 170) will only handle deer/elk. As time allows, a report of an injured or sick deer will be reviewed and any dead deer will be removed as soon as possible depending on the time of day and availability of a Park Ranger on duty. Many factors play into the response time including where the Ranger is on duty, trails, proximity to a truck, time of day, etc.
• JEFFERSON COUNTY ANIMAL CONTROL (303-271-5070) will remove any dead animals and advise on any other injured animals, for example, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, etc.

Park Rangers keep a call log when reports come in referencing sightings and or concerns about animals in the open space and private property. The log assists the Rangers in detecting a pattern to behavior or injured activity of a certain animal and can report that information to follow-up calls by staff, Colorado Wildlife Officers or Ken-Caryl Ranch Master Association members.

Due to infectious diseases and calls in the past, Park Rangers will advise the resident to contact Jefferson County Animal Control, and they may assist with any concerns and/or advise to call to the Jefferson County Health Department or Colorado Parks and Wildlife, too. If you have any questions feel free to call the Rangers at 303-979-1876, ext. 170.


  1. Amber

    Are their times when a ranger will euthanize a baby racoon who was rescued from near death in the wild, & doing good again? Or would the baby racoon be rehabbed and returned to wild?

    1. Kristen Peterka

      Ken-Caryl Ranch Rangers only handle deer and elk wildlife concerns. Jefferson County Animal Control will take calls and advise on any other injured animals, including rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, etc. You could contact them at 303-271-5070 about their processes with raccoons. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ken-Caryl Ranch