Don’t Attract the Bears!
Bears are attracted to our homes and neighborhoods because of the attractants they find there. There are several attractants that entice bears to visit your property including bird feed, unsecured garbage, dog food and BBQ grills. The Ken-Caryl Ranch Rangers have noticed that bird feed and garbage seem to be the favorite meals of the bears in our area. To avoid conflict with bears at your property remove all attractants.
- Birdfeeders should be removed until winter when bears are not active.
- Place secured garbage cans outside for pick-up in the morning, not the night before.
- Burn food off barbeque grills and clean after each use.
- Clean garbage cans with ammonia to discourage bears and other wildlife.
- Don’t leave food, trash, coolers, air fresheners or anything that smells in your vehicle
- Keep food, beverages, scented toiletries and candles out of the sight, smell and reach of bears.
- Lock bear-accessible doors and windows in the house, garage and car at night.
Bears that get too comfortable around people can destroy property or even become a threat to human safety. Habituated bears must often be destroyed. Please don’t let bears die needlessly. Do your part to bear-proof your home and property, and help keep bears alive and wild.
REMEMBER A FED BEAR IS A DEAD BEAR!!