Waste Connections COVID-19 Update
To protect the safety of our Waste Connections drivers, the following changes to our trash service will take place effective 3/27/20:
- Please ensure that all trash is bagged, and not loose inside the carts or cans. This prevents trash from flying or spilling out when being serviced, and may also reduce the smell for bears and other animals.
- All large cardboard must be cut and placed inside a recycling container, trash container or garbage bag. No boxes can be set on the curb. Studies indicate cardboard can hold the COVID-19 virus.
- Household trash will be limited to one filled can (either your personal trash can, or the 96-gallon tote provided by Waste Connections) plus up to three additional bags of trash. (You can leave out one filled can and three bags on the side.) If you have yard waste it must be either in your trash can or in the three extra bags.
- Recycling service will be normal, and they will pick up any recycling inside your regular containers. No extra boxes will be picked up from the curb.
- No bulk items may be placed out, such as mattresses, furniture, etc. This will ensure efficient operations and will protect the safety of the drivers.
- Communities with dumpsters will continue to receive the same service. Please be sure all items are placed inside the dumpster, not beside it.
Thank you for helping keep our drivers safe. This is a temporary change and we will return to regular pick-up after the crisis.
Trash & Recycling
We have contracted with Waste Connections for our Ken-Caryl Ranch curbside trash and recycling program. Each neighborhood has a designated day of pickup (see schedule). This service is included in the membership dues, which are paid to the Master Association by homeowners. Along with a variety of services that Waste Connections offers to residents, just one trash removal vehicle and one recycling collection vehicle will be in your neighborhood just one day of the week. Please have trash and recycling out at the curb and placed on opposite sides of the driveway by 7 a.m. Waste Connections may be contacted at 303-288-2100.
- Trash Service Details: There are two options for weekly curbside household trash collection:
Residents may request one 96-gallon trash tote which will be provided by Waste Connections (see below for sign-up information). In addition to servicing the tote once a week, Waste Connections will also collect up to six bags or bundles of yard waste (branches must be tied and bundled in lengths not to exceed four feet and no greater than one foot in diameter and weigh less than 40 pounds).
Residents may also use their own containers. In this case Waste Connections will collect up to 10 cans/bags of regular household trash, and six bags/bundles of yard waste (branches must be tied and bundled in lengths not to exceed four feet and no greater than one foot in diameter and weigh less than 40 pounds).
Waste Connections can take many large items, but there is a fee associated with this service depending on the type and amount of the items. Please call at least 48 hours in advance of your pickup to pay for the service and schedule the pickup.
Please ensure that all trash is bagged, and not loose inside the carts or cans. This prevents trash from flying or spilling out when being serviced, and may also reduce the smell for bears and other animals.
- Recycling Service Details: The Waste Connections recycling service is single-stream and can be mixed together in one bin or tote. Please see the Single-Stream Recycling Guidelines for more details. If you choose not to use a bin, please do not bag your recycling, as it may be mistaken as trash. Recycling stickers are available at the Ranch House to label recycling containers as needed.
- Holiday Pickup Schedule: Waste Connections observes the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day (unless the holiday falls on a weekend day, in which case the regular schedule is followed). During these holiday weeks, trash removal will be delayed one day if your scheduled pickup falls on or after the holiday (i.e. if a holiday falls on a Wednesday, trash removal will be delayed one day for everyone scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.)
- Auto-Dial Service for Trash Delay Notifications: Waste Connections offers an auto-dial service called Call Fire to notify customers of any changes in trash pickup days. If you are interested in being notified through this service, you can sign up at www.wcdenver.com/contact/. Complete the required information and in the comment section at the bottom of the page, explain that you are a Ken-Caryl resident seeking to sign up for the Call Fire service.
Residents have the option of continuing to use their own trash and recycling containers (either trash cans or bags) or of using 96-gallon totes provided at no charge by Waste Connections. The totes have wheels and are 42 inches tall, the top measures 30×34 inches, and the bottom is 24×24 inches.
If you prefer to use the totes, send an email to email@example.com, say that you want to sign up for totes and provide your name, address, email address and phone number. You can request both trash and recycling totes, just a trash tote, or just a recycling tote.
- Intermountain Rural Electric (IREA) – Electricity service in the Valley. 303-688-3100.
- Ken Caryl Ranch Water & Sanitation District (KCR W&S) – Water and sanitation management. 303-979-7424. 10698 Centennial Road, Littleton, CO 80127.
- Utility Notification Center of Colorado – Dial 811 to locate utility lines before you dig or 1-800-922-1987.
- Xcel Energy – Natural gas services in the Plains and Valley and electricity service in the Plains. 1-800-895-4999.