Recycling and Cleanup Event
Our annual event is back! KC Residents can clean out their houses and yards and get rid of that waste & recycling for free (except for some items – see the list below). Fill your car and come as many times as you need to! Just a heads up – this popular event oftentimes has a line and we appreciate your patience.
Date: Saturday, May 1
Time: 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Location: Ranch House parking lot
Ken-Caryl Residents Only
Fee: Free except a fee for TVs, Monitors and Floor Printers
Items we CAN Take:
- Appliances (small size – toaster ovens, microwaves, etc.)
- Computer Monitors – Fees apply (cash or credit card):
- LCDs/Flat Screens – $5 each
- CRT Monitors 21″ and under – $25 each
- CRT Monitors 22″ and above – $50 each
- Electronics (computers, phones, VCRs, hard drives, etc.)
- Paint/Stain (Paint: oil, acrylic, latex. Stains, shellacs, lacquers, sealers, varnishes, urethanes. 5 gallon cans or smaller. Original, labeled, non-leaking containers.)
- Paper for Shredding (limit 3 file boxes or 1 trash bag). Will be shredded on-site. Please see note below for what can & cannot be shredded.
- Printers (home printers free, floor models $50 each)
- Scrap Metal – items such as grills (propane removed), snow blowers and lawn mowers (oil and/or gas removed).
- Trash (bulk items or in bags, mattresses, etc.)
- Tree Branches for Chipper (less than 10″ diameter)
- TVs – Fees apply (cash or credit card):
- CRT monitors or any TV 21″ and under – $25 each
- CRT monitors or any TV 22″ and above – $50 each
- Console, projection, or DLP TVs – $100 each
Items we CANNOT take:
- Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs
- Large Appliances (AC Units, Water Heaters, Freezers, Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers)
- Prescription Drugs
- Spray paint (aerosol), paint thinner, solvents, cleaning agents, adhesives, drywall mud, roof patch.
Items that CAN be shredded:
- Paper Documents
- Paper Clips, Alligator Clips
- Filing Folders
- Pendaflex (folders) if metal removed
Items that CANNOT be shredded:
- 3 Ring Binders
- Credit cards
- Plastic Bags
- Pill Bottles
- Other items that can NOT be shredded: Batteries, Cell Phones, Glass, Medical Waste, Organic Matter, Electronics, Bullets, Explosive Materials, Hard Drives
Where Can I Recycle Items that Aren’t Accepted at the Event?
- Refrigerators in Working Condition: Xcel Energy (must be an Xcel electric customer), 866-552-8755; Front Range Recycling, 720-588-0268 (fee applies)
- Water Heaters: Denver Metal at 303-316-2880 or Rocky Mountain Recycling at 303-288-6868.
- Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFLs): Home Depot or Lowe’s; For long tubes, Batteries+Bulbs 303-973-4000. ($1/foot; limited quantities accepted, call first).
- Mattress Recycling (fee-based), Spring Back Colorado. https://springbackco.org/.
- Prescription Medication: The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office installed a safe disposal site at the South Precinct, 11139 Bradford Road, for residents to drop off unused or expired household medications.
- Sharps: Put used sharps in a strong plastic container (i.e. laundry detergent bottle), put the lid on, seal it with duct tape and put the container in the household trash (not recycling!)
- Household Chemicals and Other Hazardous Materials: Rooney Road Recycling, 303-316-6262, www.rooneyroadrecycling.org (fee applies)
- Batteries: Batteries Plus (303) 973-4000
Questions? Contact Allison Hefner at 303-979-1876 ext. 108 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oil-based Paint Recycling provided by Green Sheen Paint. Waste disposal provided by Waste Connections, electronics recycling provided by Techno Rescue, shredding provided by Xpres Shred and tree chipping provided by Ken-Caryl Ranch Metro District.
This event is funded and planned by the Master Association, along with the generous support of sponsors Eva Stadelmaier, Gravina’s Window Center of Littleton and PB Financial.
Thanks to our generous sponsors:
Additional 2021 Special Event information will be posted as it becomes available.
We will do our best to offer great community events this year, but all events are subject to cancellation or change based on COVID guidelines. Check back for more details.
June 4-5 – Community Garage Sale. 8 a.m. – 2 p.m. Join neighbors across the community by hosting your own garage sale.
Sept. 11 – Barn BrewHa. 1-5 p.m. at the Dakota Lodge.
Special Event Sponsor Information
Ken-Caryl Ranch Metropolitan District’s annual special events offer a wide variety of sponsor and partnership opportunities. These events are a great way to connect with the community and show your support. Each event has different opportunities to get involved from sponsoring Santa at Holiday Happenings to hosting a booth and activity at Earth Extravaganza. All partnerships include marketing exposure and onsite recognition during the event. Please contact Kate McDonald at email@example.com to learn more about sponsoring a special event for our community.